The Kameng River Expedition
Day 01: Fly Del - Guwahati. Overnight at Hotel in Guwahati.
Day 02: Drive Guwahati to Tippi Forest Rest House. 6 hrs overland. Later in the afternoon visit the nearby 'Orchid Museum' managed by the Forest Dept. Arunachal Pradesh probably has the largest variety of orchid in the world. Overnight Forest Rest House/Tented camp.
Day 03: Drive early from Tippi to near Seppa on the Kameng River. 6 hrs overland. Settle into tents on a secluded beach on river. Overnight tented camp.
Day 04: After a thorough safety briefing, our river journey begins. Our trip goes self contained with all provisions and gear for the next 5 days. We encounter rapids of mostly Class 3 and one Class 4 till we reach the picturesque campsite at Bana, the confluence of the Tenga River with the Kameng. Overnight tented camp.
Day 05: We continue rafting the main Kameng Gorge; with top class rapids and spectacular scenery throughout the 4 hours we are on river. This section passes through the Pakke Tiger Reserve on the left bank, and borders the Eagles Nest Sanctuary on the right; home to the famous Hornbill avian species that the region is well known for. We camp on a secluded beach adjoining the thick forests of the Reserve, and may get a chance to see wild elephants as well. Overnight tented camp.
Day 06: A layover day. We have a chance to relax in these spectacular surroundings or take a walk through part of these forests with a local naturalist who will be accompanying the trip. Other than the variety of orchids, the region hosts an exotic array of butterfly species. Your naturalist will educate you on different aspects and threats to the biodiversity of the area. Overnight tented camp.
Day 07: After breakfast we pack and continue downstream on another exciting day of numerous rapids in the Grade 3 and 4 categories. The gorge opens up a little affording a different perspective of the vast wilderness and thick forest cover. We camp on a secluded beach after having rafted 4 hours. Overnight tented camp.
Day 08: Our last and perhaps most exciting day as we negotiate rapids like "Morning Dump", "Maxed Out" and many other unnamed ones which you would get a chance to name! The river finally gives in to an easy going, picturesque float through the last stretch where it begins to enter the plains of Assam near Bhalukpong. We end our trip and by mid-afternoon a short drive gets us to the 'Eco- Lodge', a well appointed jungle lodge just off the Kameng River. A farewell party (after those much needed hot showers!) organized at the lodge rounds off a perfect adventure.
Day 09: We depart the lodge at 8 am to drive to Guwahati to connect to flights departing at 3:00 pm onward for Del/Mumbai. End of trip.
RAFTING CHECK LIST:
• Quick drying Bathing Suit or Shorts T-shirt
• Antiseptic Cream
• Sunglasses with retainer & Sun Burn Lotion (Optional)
• Old Sneakers / Neoprene Booties / River Sandals
• Small Camera for the trip
• Energy Bars / Energy Drinks
• Towel and Extra Undergarments
• Plastic Bags for wet clothes
• Wool Sweater or fleece
• Polypropylene Long underwear
• Cotton Clothes are good for summers
• This checklist doesn't mean to imply that you will be able to bring everything on the raft with you
• If you are going on an overnight Camping and rafting trip or will include camping as a part of your
• Rafting trip, take a look at the Camping checklist also.
• All members are requested to send your passport detail at least one month before
• Bring only essential Traveling light is essential.
CAMPING CHECK LIST:
• T-Shirts and Shorts
• Sunglasses & Sun Burn Lotion
• Sport Shoes for Trekking Activities
• Battery Torch or Flashlight
• Spare Charged Batteries for your Cameras and Mobile Phones
• Personal toiletries like towel, Deo Spray, soap, shampoo, hair oil, comb etc.
• Personal first aid kit
• Bug Repellants
• Cigarettes, Liquor, Ice Box etc (we do not serve any)
• Other miscellaneous such as Chips, Namkeen, Cookies, Bakery Snacks etc.