The Brahmputra River Expedition
- White water rafting self-contained expedition through one of the remotest areas of the country
- Long stretches of rafting through Class II - IV+ rapids everyday
- Breathtaking scenery all around as you pass through remote landscapes
- Rafting through a deep canyon with only the wilderness for company
- An exciting ferry ride on the Brahmputra at the beginning and end of the trip
- Camping on beautiful sites along the river.
- Opportunities to view wildlife all through the trip.
- Relaxation days during the trip to explore the area with short hikes.
- The upper stretches of the Brahmaputra is in some of the remotest locations of India in Arunachal Pradesh where we would start the trip. This river flows originates from the glaciers in Tibet before entering India and then gushes down the Himalayan countryside before entering the plains. During its course through the Himalayas, it provides some stunning opportunities for white water rafting with large stretches of Class III and IV rapids with the occasional Class IV+ rapid.
- We begin the trip with a 3 day drive from Dibrugarh to the put in point for the expedition. The drive, which begins with a ferry ride, is a journey in itself with great views all around and thick forest to keep you company. Once we set float from Tuting, it is a wild 7 days on the river during which you would not encounter too much of inhabitation and you would have time only to negotiate the rapids the river throws at you. We would be camping in desolate locations along the river coupled with a few nights inside a huge canyon. We end the river trip at Pasighat and then head back to Dibrugarh with memories of a wild trip.
Day 1 : Fly Delhi to Dibrugarh, check into hotel at Dibrugarh. Remaining day at leisure. Overnight at hotel.
Day 2 : Today we would travel by ferry to reach Pasighat. The time on the ferry can be well spent enjoying the vast crossing, catching sight of the Gangetic dolphins and migratory birds. Overnight at hotel in Pasighat.
Day 3-4 : We drive two long days through tropical rain forests, and experiencing the local Adi villages. Reach Tuting by evening, setup camps and settle down for the night. Tuting is the place where our river rafting expedition is to begin from. Overnight at Tuting.
Day 5 : A rest day to rejuvenate from the drive, possibly a hike up to Jedu village, explore and experience the local Adi culture and their lifestyle, sort out the expedition gear, a detailed safety briefing about rafting, kayaking and practice the various rescue techniques involved. Overnight at Tuting.
Day 6 : Tuting to Pango. We negotiate a class IV rapid Ninguing in the morning, and another exciting class III rapid called Pulsating Palsi. We setup camp at Pango, before the major Pango rapid. Overnight at Pango.
Day 7 : Pango to Cherring. We start the day with the big Pango rapid to enter the Ninguing and Marmong gorges. These gorges are one of the most remote and impenetrable tropical rain forest gorges in the world. After the Rikor and Zebra rock rapids we would set camp before a huge class VI rapid at Cherring ( also called the Tooth Fairy rapid ). Setup camp after portaging the Cherring rapid. Overnight at Cherring.
Day 8 : Cherring to Alubadi. We paddle our way out of the Marmong gorge. After a few exciting rapids we would enter a float section to ground our boats at Alubadi for the night. Overnight camp at Alubadi.
Day 9 : Alubadi to Geku. After negotiating the big Moying Madness rapid we would run several rapids going across the suspension bridge at Nubo. Further paddling through the rapid Karko Killer, we would setup camp at the beautiful site of Geku. Overnight at Geku.
Day 10 : A relaxed day at Geku. Morning hike to the nearby village. May be a short rafting day to shift our camp to a lower campsite.
Day 11 : Raft to Rotung. This is a long float section passing across several Adi settlements and the confluence of Brahmaputra with the Siyom river. We setup camp at Rotung, where we take refreshing dip in the natural fresh water spring at Rotung. Overnight at Rotung.
Day 12 : Relaxed morning wakeup. Raft from Rotung to Pasighat. Largely a relaxed float day with one last big rapid at Ponging. Late afternoon we ground our boats for the last time on this trip, Overnight tents at the finish point.
Day 13 : Early morning wakeup, drive to board ferry for Dibrugarh. Overnight at hotel in Dibrugarh.
Day 14 : Board flight for Delhi.